Who me?

Who me? Yes, you. Couldn’t be. Then who?

This give and take from a song I sang with preschools is a perfect fit for how I am currently feeling…like an impostor. I am five to six weeks (honestly I’ve lost track) into the first quarter of a principal licensure program and my head is spinning, I’m feeling lost, and wondering where I belong.

So far the program has been wonderful. We are learning theory and have the opportunity to tie theory to real-world applications. My own personal boundaries are being pushed, pulled, shoved, and torn in ways that at times are uncomfortable, frustrating, eye-opening, and healing. I went into the program having a pretty strong idea of who I am, what I stand for, and knowing my limitations and strengths. Well, at least I thought I did.

I’m discovering parts of me that really don’t fit with my own espoused theory – typically for the better. Through my learning and interactions, I’m working to find who I am. This school year I’m moving to a new school, which now I’m feeling is for the best. This staff, students, families, and community don’t know the old me, so as I’m learning and discovering the new me they are too. Heres hoping that my current friends will accept the new me. Or maybe they already see the me that I’m just finding.